History of the Friends of the Columbia Libraries

Photo of Butler Library main entrance 1934

The "Friends of the Library of Columbia University" dates back more than 75 years; in November, 1928, George A. Plimpton hosted a luncheon, convening a group of people dedicated to the growth of the Library. The original members wished to bring together in a modest organization the many friends who had already generously given their time and money for enrichment of the Library. They sought others who would be glad to take an interest in the Library as a whole, or in the libraries of any of the affiliated schools and colleges. Today, the Friends of the Columbia Libraries continues that tradition and commitment to the advancement and excellence of the libraries.